Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Heh, It's Only a Month Late

Been a while, eh? So, after I finished in Switzerland, off I was to Nice for the night before flying up to Ireland. My day in Nice was largely uneventful - washing and chores, then off to my budget Ryanair flight for Dublin. Got to the hostel around midnight, so nothing was done but sleep. That's alright though, because the next morning it was off to find the Shamrocker office and begin a new adventure - 7 days in Ireland with strangers! 


In total I spent about 11 days in Ireland, but the tour was only 7 of those. We started, of course, with a drive out of Dublin along the river Liffey, and off we were to the Blarney Castle. Guess who kissed the Blarney Stone? Yupp, this girl. So, if you didn't think I spoke enough earlier, I'd like to remind you that I now have "the gift of gab." You're hooped! Haha, so after the castle and some sightseeing and photos and such, we made our first overnight stop in Killarney. I know a song about Killarney, and I bet you do too, but it was the wrong season to sing it. By about 6 months (I was in Killarney June 22). Oh, did I say June 22? I sure did. I celebrated my 23rd birthday with kissing the Blarney Stone, eating some excellent lamb stew, and a trip to listen to a storyteller. The storyteller was one of the most bizarre experiences I've ever had, but it was also a good time. Then off we all went for a night out - dancing for a few hours, then back to the hostel in Killarney for the night. 


Second day of the trip, and where did we head? Why, Dingle and Ennis, of course. Because we were working our way north, this route made sense. It also gave us all some fantastic opportunities. We drove along the river Shannon, stopped at some amazing beaches, drove along the cliffs... It was an amazing day. I waded our into the water and "left part of my soul" in Ireland, to be rejoined with me upon my return in 20 years (at Coumeennole Beach), saw beautiful coastlines, and thoroughly enjoyed the day. When we reached Ennis we had group dinner, and off we went for drinks and live music. Again. Haha, but in all honesty, the live music was brilliant; a traditional band consisting of a few guys, and when we arrived we were almost the only ones there (it was a Sunday, too). By the time some of us left, the place was absolutely packed. However, we needed sleep for the big day ahead of us, so off we went to our beds. 


Right, so our next evening stop was in Galway, a city that I absolutely adored. I mean, it was enchanting and picturesque and just.. Ugh. However, to get there we made multiple stops; the first was Portal Tomb, then an ancient fort, then on to the Cliffs of Moher, and finally into Galway we rode. The Portal Tomb was really neat - a structure that's something like 2000 years old, still standing nearly as it was made (though the top has been moved and the bodies inside removed and now sitting in "the basement of a museum somewhere"), and slowly being reclaimed by nature. I don't know if I've previously mentioned this, but most of Ireland seems to be like that and it is amazing - structures just slowly being reclaimed by lush, green nature. Or the Burren. After the Tomb we drove around a bit looking to find a fort that Dave knew the approximate location of, and when we found it we basically climbed around and explored an ancient site. Again. The pièce de la résistance of the day though, I've got to say, was the Cliffs of Moher. Have you seen Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince? Well, the cliff that Dumbledore and Harry go into? That's here. Yupp. And the cliffs themselves were incredible. High and grand, they were breathtaking. Regal. Stunning. And we got to see them in the sunshine! I don't know if I can do the cliffs justice, so maybe I'll give you a few photos. 


Portal Tomb
Ancient Fort

Cliffs of Moher
Galway Hostel wall

After the cliffs it was into Galway for a group dinner, drinks at Skeffs, and then dancing. Overall this was a fantastic day, with the knowledge that the next day would also be fantastic as we were off to the Aran Islands!


Did I mention the Aran Islands? Why yes, I did. We spent this magical day exploring Inis Mor, the loveliest of lovelies, on bicycles. Yupp, bicycles. I've done more cycling in Europe than I've done at home in probably years, and I've thoroughly enjoyed it. Maybe I should get my (mom's) bike out more often and use it? Anyways, cycling aside, we spent the day exploring and visiting ruins, cemeteries, seals, and donkeys. Also, don't let anyone ever tell you it's never sunny there; I got the worst sunburn of my whole trip, along with windburn, here. Yeah. Sun and wind! Also, spent some time looking at wool and knitted products, and they were so pretty and warm! I want them! 


Upon our return to Galway, via ferry of course, we went to dinner, had the most incredible, light, fluffy Bailey's cheesecake, and then went to have a quiet drink and listen to some live music. I've got to say, this may have been one of my favourite nights on this particular tour - just sitting with a cider and listening to a couple guys play guitar and sing, no pressure to do anything but listen and chat. Heaven on earth. Also, I got to listen to Galway Girl, sung by locals, in a a pub in Galway. I think that's pretty special, don't you?


Galway to Derry today, and our first stop? Leenaun for a "cheeky morning Irish coffee," or in my case a Bailey's hot chocolate. Have you guessed my preferred Irish whiskey drink yet? At home I only seem to drink it in the winter, but when in Ireland... Anyways, the drink and photos (this is where they filmed The Fields, so of course we needed photos!) we're followed by amazing scenery - the area we drove through was on the National Geographic's top 10 most scenic drives, so as you can guess it was stunning. Another up for the day? We stayed in a hotel in Derry, not a hostel! 


We got into Derry relatively early for us, and this was excellent, because we went on a walking tour. I'm not going to say too much, but the walking tour was amazing. Our guide was a postman in the Bogside before being a guide, and he grew up during the troubled times, so his personal connection to everything he spoke about was amazing. The murals they've put up were incredible, and the atmosphere of hope and joy was evident. It may have been the weather, but I like to think that after all this area has been through, it is slowly healing and looking to an optimistic future. Our night in Derry was pretty quiet, and bed wasn't too late for this tired traveler. 


Derry to Belfast with a few touristic stops, and what's happening? It's raining. I can't really complain, we've had amazing weather, but as we were off to the Giant's Causeway and Carrik-a-Rede Bridge today it was a bit of a shame. I've got to say though, the weather being to fierce made the causeway absolutely incredible. Winds and rain combined with a misty front to make the causeway more mysterious and incredible, and the narrator and tour were entertaining. The rope bridge, Carrik-a-Rede, was also amazing, though I have to say I've been on scarier suspension bridges. This may be because the wind had died down though. Anyways, yes, overall a beautiful day of views, not hindered by the rain but in some ways enhanced by it brain also seems to bring out the lushness of Ireland, which is incredible in itself. 


As it was our last night together we had dinner out as a group (at a place my father would have loved - a bar absolutely teaming with billiard tables) and then went out. We didn't actually stay out too late, but we had a good time!


Time to head "home" to Dublin on June 28th, but first we had a Black Cab tour of Belfast. In the rain. The city was unique, and I've got to say, though I didn't feel unsafe, there was still an air of unease in the city sometimes. It may be because the city is still divided though, and still trying to heal and work through its past. Either way, the tour was really well done and the murals here were powerful. 


Lunch ushered in our departure from Belfast, and on our way back to sunny Dublin we stopped at a monastery to see some original Celtic Crosses. Here we're some serious crosses. 2-3 times the size of an average person, at least, the crosses were heavily detailed and depicted religious stories. Most intriguing, these crosses were hundreds of years old,if not thousands, and they looked excellently preserved. 


After checking into hostels, etc. back in Dublin a few of us got together and headed to Whalen's, where they shot part of PS I Love You, intending to have dinner. Whalen's didn't serve food, so we settled for a pint and then headed back to the Temple Bar earlier for food and planning. We settled plans for the next day, our last day together for those of us who still remained, and then I headed back for bed because I'm boring and was exhausted. 


What plans had we made? Well, firstly we'd planned to head to Kilmainham Gaol, and secondly to the Guinness Storehouse. The Gaol was incredible; the history, the preservation, the guide.. The entire experience was well done, and the straightforward way all the history was presented was admirable. There was no blushing over the past, and the conditions were laid bare: it wasn't some faerie place and conditions were harsh. However, at times the conditions in the jail were better than the conditions outside, and all this was presented along with information on the occasions of use for the jail and the important political prisoners held and executed inside. 


The Guinness Storehouse was almost as far from the Gaol in atmosphere as we could get, which is a good thing, naturally, but it was equally as entertaining. I'm not a big fan of beer, but even I poured and then drank a pint. I've got to say, Guinness in Dublin is far superior to other beers... 


The rest of the day was spent wandering around, and then in the evening I headed to my last minute decision: Riverdance. I went and saw Riverdance in Dublin and 8 year old me rejoiced. Everything was a Celtic story and nothing hurt. It was a lovely show, an the perfect way to end my stay in Dublin. June 30 saw me flying to London, catching the tube to the hostel, checking in, catching a bus to see "Big Ben" and Parliament, Trafalgar Square, the London Eye, Westminster Abbey, and the Thames, and then spending a quiet night. Why? July 1st would see me sitting on a bus for 9 hours to get to Scotland. Happy Canada Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment