Saturday, June 29, 2013

Let's try to play a bit of catch up before bed?

Ah, so, I left off at Paris. Well, after Paris is was back onto the bus and into Switzerland. Fun fact: for a neutral country, the Swiss are very well prepared for an attack. Seriously, they've e got like, airplane hangars covered in grass to look like hills and explosives under bridges. And all men are militarily trained, etc. crazy. Also, Switzerland is gorgeous. Like, seriously stunning. 


So, I spent my two days in Switzerland in Lauterbrunnen, right by the Alps. I had a waterfall two minutes from the campsite I was staying at, and a view of the Alps from the window of the kitchen. Ah-mazing. So, what'd I do? I spent my two days with a group of Kiwis and Aussies (as I seem to do). The first morning was spent exploring with my roommate, Alice. Hiking up behind the waterfall, going off to Trummelbach Falls for a few hours, walking in the sunshine and listening to the cowbells.


Oh yes, I'm not kidding, the cows wear bells. As do other livestock. Apparently for cows it means the bigger the bell, the better they are at producing milk. Random fact of the day? 

Anyways, the afternoon was where the fun truly started: white water rafting. Oh yes, I went rafting I. The alps of glacier fed rivers. Not only were they glacier fed rivers, they were fast rising glacier fed rivers. So fast rising, in fact, that we were not legally allowed to do our second run and so had to do the first one twice. Now this was my first rafting experience, and over got to say, it was fantastic. If you're ever in Interlaken, I recommend Outdoor Interlaken for your outdoor needs. Our second day out the others went canyoning, and it sounds like it was amazing as well. 



After a hard day's work enjoying amazing, lush, sunny, green countryside and chilling, thrilling water it was a night for fondu (which I wasn't impressed by) and then drinks and chats with the Busabout crew. Dancing at the Bombshelter followed, and our 8:15 am departure the next day was still met. 

Yupp, after our night we still made it to the shuttle. The others went into town to go canyoning, and off I went to Seilpark, the high ropes obstacle course (think tree-go but higher, friends). This too was loads of fun, but I've got to say that until I did the very last run, the black one, I wasn't challenged. However, when I finally got to the black run, after about 3.5 hours, it was hard. Not hard enough to dissuade me, but it took a bit of blood and sweat. The second amazing day in Switzerland ended similarly to the first, except instead of having bad fondu I made myself some pasta and chicken for dinner. 


I've got to say, Switzerland was one of the places I wish I'd managed to spend more time, if simply for the scenery. The entire area was gorgeous and even though I was doing "extreme sports" (not that extreme, honestly) I felt really at ease and at home. Perhaps it was all the open land and farms after Paris. 

No comments:

Post a Comment