Friday, May 17, 2013

From Split to Zadar

I have to say, as much as I love Europe so far, there are a few things about it that bother me. Not even really bother me, actually. I just find them a bit bizarre: 


1). Paying for the toilet. I understand that under some circumstances this is probably a thing that is normally accepted, but if I'm a paying member in a pub or a club, why am I also having to pay extra to use the toilet? You've got to make sure you've got me coming and going, eh? I think I'd understand this a bit more if it was a general rule, but it only seems to apply in some areas. Also at services and public toilets, though you're generally given a food voucher at a service stop. 


2). Smoking. It's not that we don't have smoking at home, and it's not even that I'm terribly set against people smoking around me, but in Prague and Croatia I've noticed that smoking inside is perfectly acceptable, and that bothers me a little. I had a guy come up to me in a club in Prague and stick his cigarette in my mouth. First off, wtf; who does that and thinks its a good way to pick up a stranger? Secondly, eww. Honestly, if I'm not enjoying the amount of smoke in the room already, what makes you think I want your cigarette shoved into my mouth while I'm trying to breathe?! The smoking in restaurants thing only really gets me because there can be very little ventilation in some areas and the smoke can build up. That said, we went to a bar in Berlin that I swear just reminded me of the Swan back in Shawnigan because of the lighting and the slightly smoky smell and atmosphere, so I guess for some places it works. 


I've got to say though, I'm pretty damn lucky to be on this trip. I've met some amazing people, been to and seen some incredible places, and certainly had the time of my life so far. For anyone that told me high school would be the highlight of my life, I laugh in your direction. For those who said my undergrad degree would be the best four years of my life, I scoff at you. Travel abroad, go on a tour, and let a company worry about the little details - that's what I've done for the first three weeks of my trip, and I'm so glad I did it. I feel like Contiki may be the highlight of my trip, but I've got another 2 months to go after this, and trip-type things going on with two other systems, so we'll see how things tally up at the end of the 3 months. 


I can't believe how fast time has gone, and how quickly things just pile up. I feel as though I've known some of the people here for years, but it's only been two weeks. How bizarre things like this trip can be, and how excellent as well!









No comments:

Post a Comment