Wednesday, May 22, 2013

No free wi-fi means downtime is not filled with updates.

Back on the coach again today, but this times is e last time we'll ever have a long coach ride together as a crew. Like, really the last long haul. We arrive in Rome this afternoon, and then it's just little coach trips in and out of the city after that. Raf and the coach actually go back to the Netherlands tomorrow evening :-( Alas though, I've missed things. 

By things, of course, I mean updates. What can I say to sum up what I've not written about (which is a lot)? Erm, it has been amazing. Croatia was gorgeous. Like, even though I was really sick (chest infections ftw?), I still adored Dubrovnik. Old town is absolutely darling with its enclosed walls (which you can walk on as a tour - amazing views); central street and simple layout; and market and small shops. The outlying areas aren't as darling, but it's still a nice area. On a side note, their hospital is well laid out, but since everything is in Croatian, if you don't read the language you have to ask where to go a few times (or just once if the first person understands what you say). 

What's more gorgeous than the Old Town? The coast. We hopped on a boat and did an island tour one afternoon, and we spent 5 hours on and off a boat and two islands under the Croatian sunshine. It was such a lovely day. Before that though, we sought out a bar that our tour manager had mentioned. This bar is situated outside the wall of old town, but just barely: you go through to wall to get to the bar, and the bar is situated on a cliff. Literally. They have areas where you can go and jump into the Adriatic while at the bar. Crazy beautiful views, as well. So yeah, Croatia was fantastic. Also, if you're ever in Dubrovnik and want a bucket to drink, check out the Skybar. 

From Dubrovnik we headed over to Zadar for the night, which I wasn't anything too spectacular, but was a nice, slow evening. From Croatia we headed into Slovenia, where we spent the afternoon/evening/night in Ljubljana. Our hostel was literally about 100m from the main square, and I had some of the best Mexican food I've had in a while for dinner that night (walkabout meal, and I didn't want pub food). Ljubljana was lovely; laid back and tiny, even though we went out to the Disco-Bar (literally, that's the name of the place) that evening, it didn't feel like we were in some super crazy, out of control, city. I mean, it was definitely a club (when it got going), but it had nothing on the size, capacity, and insanity of some of the other places we've been out in *cough*Prague*cough*. From Slovenia it was down into the lovely Italy. 

Guys, I think I'm in love. Not with a guy, so hah to everyone back home, but with a country. The food, the lush scenery, the fact that the rain held off for us pretty well here, even the accommodations haven't been bad. We're 'camping,' but as one of the other girls said, it's more like 'glamping.' We stay in a cabin with a sleeping bag. We have running water, plumbing, and sort of have heat. We sleep on beds. They served us hot breakfasts. So it's pretty good. 

So, Italy. Our first stop was the lovely Venice; Venezia, I love you. Such a charming area, interesting to look at, twisting and turning, crossing over the water everywhere, using boats to transport everything, gosh. I can't wait to go back to Venice after this tour and spend some time there on my own just getting lost (and maybe visiting Kiko for some cheaply priced, quality makeup). We have also been in Florence, and even though we didn't get much time there, I'm looking forward to going back. I love how walkable these cities are. Honestly, cities that you can just wander in a probably my favourites. 


Lovely sunset in Zadar, as seen from the road outside the hostel

Current other home...

Quotes on the walls in Ljubljana. 


Venezia, I love you

See, I was in Venice!

Masquerade night!

No comments:

Post a Comment